Friday, September 21, 2012

A beginning? Hardly.

I think that I will start my blog from the present, then move backwards in retrospect...

I have realized, in my venerable state, that I have seen some fairly interesting things in my life. Experienced some interesting things; even witnessed some interesting things -- first hand. As I slowly approach what some would call middle-aged, I have started reflecting on how awesome my life has been, how blessed/fortunate I have been, and the profound impact some of my experiences have been for me, my peers, and the world.

So, for a while, let me share some of the events in my life that I feel were important or terrible or "game-changing". Some of the posts will have commentary. Some posts will not require narrative. Please feel free, even required, to post your thoughts to any of my posts; as you are my closest friends and peers.

I will begin with this:







Some of you might not know what this represents. Some of you (**wink**) are all too familiar with the image.

In 1982, I was introduced to gaming. Not just tabletop D&D. Gaming.

During lunch or free period in High School, we played Dungeons and Dragons. Three or four of us assaulting keeps, finding treasure, slaying foes, etc. But most importantly, using our imagination.

I have never stopped using it. I use it all the time, every day, even when you can't tell I am using it. It is my greatest asset.

I still "game". Different formats, types, mediums; but I still love it. Judge as you see fit, I am quite comfortable in my skin, thank you very much.

What about you? Do you have an imagination? Can you listen to someone tell a story and describe your environment, then imagine that environment in all it's details? I wonder.

Game on.


1 comment:

  1. Tabletop ftw!!! Slambrose is by far the king of all DMs. Glad you fostered us along with you, brother.

    ReplyDelete